September 29, 2016
14 Fascinating Facts About Coffee
National Coffee Day is September 29th!
In honor of National Coffee Day, we came up with a list of 14 fascinating facts about coffee. Company Kitchen serves coffee daily in hundreds of businesses to tens of thousands of employees! Whether through CK Coffee – our office coffee service, CK Markets – our national micro market brand, or in one of our CK Cafes, we know coffee!
- A cup of Starbucks exists in every scene of “Fight Club.”
- 65% of coffee consumption take place during breakfast hours.
- A coffee plant can live up to 200 years.
- Coffee is the world’s second most valuable traded commodity, only behind petroleum.
- The world consumes close to 2.25 billion cups of coffee every day.
- The first webcam was created in Cambridge to check the status of a coffee pot. –The Trojan Room Coffee Pot at University of Cambridge.
- Hawaii is the only state that commercially grows coffee.
- Starbucks has more customer money on cards than many banks have in deposits – 1.2 Billion loaded onto Starbucks cards and mobile app as of the 1st quarter of 2016.
- Starbucks has added an average of two stores on a daily basis since 1987.
- Santa Fe Springs, Calif. has the highest concentration with 560 Starbucks stores within 25 miles.
- Dunkin’ Donuts has two chief coffee taste-tasters. Their job is to ensure that “millions of cups of coffee the company serves each day taste exactly the same.”
- Dunkin’ Donuts sells 30 cups of coffee every second, on average.
- McDonald’s recently opened up a restaurant in Paris that only serves McCafe products where coffee is ground on demand. No hamburgers here!
- The Boston Tea Party resulted in Americans switching from tea to coffee as an expression of freedom.